Post Of The Day

Top 10 Beauty Products For Under 10 Dollars/ Pounds! Collab with Lo!

Hello guys! Gee here, as always. However actually this post is going to be a little different than usual, as me and Lauren thought we w...

Wednesday 9 November 2016

The Connotations Of Makeup

Hi! So this is my third blog post, and I'm aiming to post here every other day in order to keep this blog consistent and so that you lovely people know when to expect new posts! You can also follow me on Instagram and Twitter @geebeautyx for updates on upcoming blog posts, when I've posted, my favourite makeup looks and what I'm thinking (if you can't get enough of me, of course)!

Today I'm going to be talking about the different meanings of makeup; it's.. connotations! What does makeup mean to different people? How can makeup affect us all in different ways? Is it an art form or a facade?

A throwback to before 1000 different hair cuts, 2000 tattoos and a loooong break, a curly-haired, golden tanned Liam Payne sings that his girl doesn't need makeup "to cover up". Well, that's great and romantic and all, but what if makeup isn't just a tool to hide our imperfections? What if his girl enjoys getting her fleek on for two hours before their date? I know I certainly enjoy keeping my boyfriend waiting for just ""five more minutes" while I wing it out!

In all seriousness, too many people have the idea that if you spend a lot of time applying makeup then you must have some serious self esteem issues, but that couldn't be less true.

There are people that see me, with my attempt at hella fine eyebrows, or long ass lashes, and look down on me - or even worse, they see it as a charitable self esteem booster to tell me "Hey, you don't need all that makeup!"

I have sat silently and clenched my teeth at girls who prefer "an all natural look" and tut at me for spending time contouring before going out in the snowy hills of Iceland to see the Northern Lights (yes, I actually did this and looked TOTALLY cute on the pictures. But we didn't see the lights. I was very disappointed.)

Girls, despite what others assume about us makeup junkies - we are not all troubled. Makeup is an artistic canvas, a talent and a way to feel good about yourself. When you slay, you feel it, and that doesn't mean that you have to struggle with your self esteem. Don't let people make you feel cheap or a sell out for enjoying your makeup. And if you do struggle? It's good that you have an outlet to help you deal with those insecurities!

I certainly don't let people make me feel that way. I will quite happily walk around Tesco with a bare face, or go out for lunch with my  skin naked and speckled with spots. That's the way I look - I'm used to it by now! The imperfections I notice on a daily basis are seen on a much less regular basis by the people surrounding me, they aren't insulted by your slightly dark eyes. Sure, I'll try to cover up the odd pimple because I want to look my best, but I won't let it get to me and neither should you, gorgeous people!

However, if you are that girl who struggles to face the world without your foundation and concealer arming you ready for the battle - do not let them get to you. Honestly, if you are insecure and makeup makes you feel better about yourself, then that is is an amazing thing.


In every high school history lesson I ever took, each and every time period seemed to consistently be based around the gender roles of a man and women. And even though there was some differentiation, the same themes were often communicated:
- Women are sexual objects
I know, I can practically hear your eyes rolling.

But that is what our society has taught us, and although most have now realised that is the wrong attitude to have in life, gender roles that men are above women and can use them in any way they like still influence the ideas of men these days.

Especially when it comes to our reasons for wearing makeup. 

Some men, not all, think it is for them.

Ha! Okay. Sure, makeup can make a girl feel sexy from time to time. It can make her feel like she can go get her guy. But that is from the power that makeup allows the person wearing it to feel and use - and that is the true reason the majority of people choose to wear it! Not to turn some guy,who doesn't even know his contour from his highlight, on. 

It is learnt behaviour to think that makeup comes from the quest for sexuality. Over the ages, makeup has changed from a gender neutral attribute when women have used it for this purpose as they accepted that they were just sex symbols, but now things have changed.

So when a man says to me "I prefer less makeup"? Well I'll just be saying "that's great for you, but how much makeup YOU wear is none of my business." 

Speaking of how much makeup men wear...


The beauty industry is a vast place, majority female, but it is enjoyed by both genders too. 

Perhaps not all men choose to wear makeup, but this - I believe - is due to gender roles still influencing our modern lives (again!) . If women had never been sexualised, and an ideal man had never been ruthless and tough - damn, I bet the whole damn planet would have dabbled in the arts of makeup too!

There are some men, though, who have the bravery to stand out against the roles given to them and realise that a man can be whoever he wants to be. Men who wear makeup have just has much right to the art as women and we should be glad to share our passion with them. 

So why is there so much of a... frenzy over it?!

Some of the worlds best MUAs are male, and oh my, some of them are my GODs.

Patrick Starr is a makeup god. 
Manny MUA is a makeup god.
THERE ARE SO MANY MAKEUP GODS!!

The point is, these men are talented. They're talented and they love what they do. Who has the right to stop them? If you find something you love, you should follow it with all your heart.

No, it doesn't make you gay to indulge in something that was once only "feminine". And what is so wrong with being gay or anything else anyway? Labels are so outdated, come on people, lets wake up!


Thanks for reading my third blog post guys! I will be trying to post every other day from now on, I'm trying my best although life is pretty busy for me at the moment! Make sure to follow me on Instagram and Twitter @geebeautyx for updates or follow the blog for emailed updates every time I post! It would mean the world to me! Thanks for putting up with my sort-of rant, let me know if you can relate and your opinions on the matter.




No comments:

Post a Comment